More than four dozen complaints about Ballard’s Beach Resort so far this summer


The police incidents included seven disorderly conduct complaints, seven foot patrols, calls to help citizens and keep the peace, noise complaints, and more.

During the same period, Block Island Volunteer Fire & Rescue responded 17 times to six people intoxicated, three broken bones or dislocations, one seizure, difficulty breathing, one heart symptom, one asthma attack and four emergencies related to heat.

Eleven people from Block Island were cited for alcohol-related incidents in July and August, including nine at Ballard’s. Three of the cases at Ballard involved intoxicated minors: ages 15, 18 and 18. The 15-year-old was found unconscious on July 4.

Other intoxicated people were of legal drinking age, including one person who vomited and slipped in water after drinking.

A 52-year-old was found passed out in Champlin’s bathroom on June 28, and another fell on a boat after drinking at Payne’s on June 22.

Three days after the August 8 fighting at Ballard’s and on the Block Island Ferry, John Mancone, chief protector of public inspection for the Rhode Island Department of State Affairs Regulatory, sent a letter to the City Manager Maryanne Crawford advising her that complaints had been filed. against Ballard.

“In the past few days, we have received three complaints against Ballard’s for overcrowding, overcapacity, excess alcohol service and alcohol service to minors,” Mancone wrote. He noted a complaint in July about similar issues.

Ballard’s indoor seating capacity, which has a dining room, kitchen and three restrooms, is listed on its food license as 350.

Cabins open at Ballard’s Beach Resort on Block Island.David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

Monday’s show cause hearing is not the first for Ballard’s.

By the summer of 2004, Ballard’s had been the subject of 29 noise complaints from May 15, 2004, to July 19, 2004, including 10 complaints on July 19, 2004 alone, according to city records. A show cause hearing was scheduled for July 28, 2004.

During this hearing, New Shoreham Police Chief at the time, Vincent Carlone, testified that one night Ballard’s music could be heard about half a mile away. He alleged that when officers responded, Ballard’s turned down the noise “temporarily and briefly”. The city council, acting in its capacity as commissioner of the city’s licensing commission, found that Ballard would continue to crank up the music after officers left the property, sometimes multiple times during the same night, records show. . Carlone, who is now head of security at Ballard’s, also testified in 2004 that Ballard’s served alcohol after 1 a.m. – which violated licensing laws – and that there were containers of liquor open outside Ballard’s.

“The pattern displayed by [Ballard’s] by responding to Rhode Island state and city law, as enforced by its police department and building inspector, strongly suggests disrespect and disregard for the law,” a ruling said. on Ballard’s liquor license at the time.

At the 2004 show cause hearing, several area residents testified to excessive noise, which they claimed to hear from their homes on the streets. City Council approved penalties against Ballard’s, including suspending its liquor license for 24 hours beginning in August 2004 and its outdoor entertainment license from midnight August 6 to midnight August 12.

But the day before the suspensions began, Ballard’s filed a lawsuit in Washington County Superior Court, seeking a temporary restraining order from the decision. The city and Ballard’s reached a settlement agreement, records show, which showed Ballard’s agreed to turn over their liquor license to the city’s attorney to be held in receivership for 24 hours.

“The voluntary placement of the retailers’ beverage license … will not be considered a suspension or revocation of said license in this or any other similar proceeding,” said court documents detailing the agreement. Ballard’s also agreed not to hold outdoor entertainment on its premises and surrendered its outdoor entertainment license to the city clerk’s office for approximately six days.

The deal resolved “all issues,” according to documents signed by then-Ballard chairwoman Marion Filippi, the mother of current chairman Steven Filippi. The agreement prevents complaints from the summer of 2004 from being used against Ballard’s when they went to town to renew their licenses that winter.

Each of the complaints was dismissed, which legally erases any record of Ballard’s action on their licenses by the city.

Monday evening’s demonstration hearing will be open to the public and broadcast on the New Shoreham City Council Youtube Channel.

Alexa Gagosz can be contacted at [email protected] Follow her on Twitter @alexagagosz and on Instagram @AlexaGagosz. Carlos Muñoz can be contacted at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @ReadCarlos and on Instagram @Carlosbrknews.


Comments are closed.